I can hardly believe it’s been 15 years since I published Bread Science! Self-publishing has come a long way in that time, and I’ve learned a lot.
I’ve considered how best to celebrate, given my lack of time to research new material for a “second edition.” The idea of a new edition has never felt right to me, since it excludes people with the first edition (or requires them to buy a new book). If I ever have time to spend months researching new bread topics, I would rather create a sequel (I’m thinking, More Bread Science) than create a second edition.
So for now, here is what I planned for the 15th anniversary edition:
- New cover!
- Copyediting according to the Chicago Manual of Style
- Tweaks to the text where I thought I could make something clearer
- Footnotes referring to more detailed updates (all available here)
- Ebook formatting updates (including alt text!)
- A “print-on-demand” version to make the book available in non-US countries with cheaper shipping
The 15th anniversary edition is at the printer, with an expected launch date of September 1, 2021.